Getting the Best GPS Results with Runkeeper
Does your map make you look like you're walking on water? Running through buildings? Does it look like The Flash took your phone and zipped around the city? Sometimes GPS is fickle, but with these steps, you can make you're optimizing your phone's built-in GPS as much as possible.
- Be sure you have installed the latest app version available in either the App Store or Google Play Store. If you have a particularly old version of the app on your phone, you're likely to see problems like poor GPS and other data discrepancies.
- Make sure Location Services for Runkeeeper are toggled "On" in your phone settings:
(Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure Location Services are turned on specifically for Runkeeper)
- Turn Airplane mode "Off" and WiFi "On" in your phone settings.
- When you open the app, go to your Start screen and make sure you have a direct line to the sky. Wait long enough until the GPS indicator on the Start screen (bottom-left) turns green.
Note: Some phones take longer to find GPS than the time it takes for our "Location Unavailable" pop-up to appear. Selecting 'Continue' and giving the app more time to find a stable GPS signal might be all it takes to solve your problem!
If it's cloudy, or there are trees or tall buildings around, you may experience GPS disruptions. Many GPS issues occur in certain locations that may not have a strong signal. If one location gives you trouble, try another and you may notice improvements.
If you are still experiencing GPS trouble even after trying all the above tips, please try the troubleshooting steps outlined below:
- Clear your Location Services cache on your phone: Go to your device settings --> privacy --> location services --> scroll down to "system services" --> significant locations --> clear history
- Toggle off your Location Services and then toggle them back on
- Restart your device
- Reinstall the Runkeeper app. For steps on how to safely reinstall on iPhone click here. For Android, click here
- We also have a button in the app that smooths out GPS inaccuracies on trips that haven't been tracked properly, called Fix GPS. To learn more about this feature, check out this article in our Help Center.
Still experiencing trouble? Reach out to email@example.com and we'd be happy to help!