Try workouts 1 through 3 for free now! Workouts 4 and onward are available with a Runkeeper Go subscription.
What is My First 5K?
The My First 5K plan is a unique training option that leads you through a series of guided audio workouts with ASICS Frontrunner Coach Erin.
Who is My First 5K for?
- Absolute beginner runners
- People who haven't run in a while and want to safely start again
What's the difference between My First 5K and a regular 5K race training plan?
Glad you asked! My First 5K was designed for people with little or no running experience. The regular 5K race training plans start at a slightly higher running level, so we recommend My First 5K if you're new to running or haven't run in a long time.
Can I use this plan indoors or just outdoors?
My First 5K can be done both outdoors and or indoors! To use it indoors, just switch to Stopwatch Mode in your Settings before you start your workout. Save GPS Mode for outdoor workouts.
How do I enroll?
- On iPhone, go to the Training tab in the app, and right under the "Fitness that fits you" section, select My First 5K. Once you enroll in the plan, it will open and live on a dedicated tab on the Start screen called 'My First 5K.' If you ever want to log an activity outside the plan, just toggle over to the 'Quickstart' tab.
- On Android, navigate to the My First 5K tab.
Second image: The Quickstart and My First 5K tabs are at the top of the screen.
Let's get started!
- You'll start with Workout 1. Completing one workout unlocks the next workout in the plan. (Workouts can't be skipped, ensuring that you train safely.)
- Select Workout 1 and tap Start Run. You'll hear Erin's friendly voice coaching you through running and walking intervals, and she'll let you know when the workout's complete.
- You can keep going even after the workout's done, if you want to! If not, just tap the 'Stop' and 'Save' to save your workout.
- A green checkmark will appear on the workout indicating that it's complete. Then, you can download the next workout!
- Once you've unlocked a workout, you can always go back and do it again.
- As you progress through the plan, you'll be running more and walking less, but don't worry! There are 18 workouts to get you to that final 5K.
How often should I do My First 5K workouts?
- It depends on how you feel. You can do one new workout every week if you want, or do a couple a week.
- If you're an absolute beginner, we recommend repeating each workout a few times until you feel comfortable.
- You can do each workout as many times as you want! Just make sure you have rest days for recovery -- you don't want to over work yourself.
A couple things to note:
- Workouts 1 through 3 are free so you can try the plan and see if you like it. Workout 4 and onward are accessible with a Runkeeper Go subscription. Check out all the other features included in a Runkeeper Go subscription here and upgrade to continue on in the plan!
- You must complete at least 80% of the workout for the next one to unlock.
- My First 5K is not available on the standalone Apple Watch app at this time.