What is My First 5K?
My First 5K is one of our Guided Workouts plans that lead you through a series of guided audio workouts with an ASICS Runkeeper Coach. Sticking to a routine is the key to progress, and this plan helps ease you into a regular running routine. To access the My First 5K Program, go to the Training Tab and select Guided Workouts.
Who is My First 5K for?
- Beginner runners
- People who haven't run in a while and want to safely start again
What's the difference between My First 5K and a regular 5K race training plan?
Glad you asked! My First 5K was designed for people with little or no running experience. The regular 5K race training plans start at a slightly higher running level and is more personalized. You can learn more about our personalized race training plans by going to the article here. If you're new to running or haven't run in a long time, we recommend the My First 5K Guided Workout option!
Can I use this plan indoors or just outdoors?
My First 5K can be done both outdoors and or indoors! To use it indoors, just switch to Stopwatch Mode in your Settings before you start your workout. Save GPS Mode for outdoor workouts. To switch to Stopwatch mode for My First 5K workouts, simply select the Gear in the top right corner. From here, you can choose whether you want to track using GPS Mode or Stopwatch mode.
Let's get started!
- You'll start with Workout 1. Completing one workout unlocks the next workout in the plan. To help ensure you are training safely and following the plan, workouts cannot be skipped.
- Select Workout 1 and tap Start Workout (you may need to download the workout first). You'll hear Erin's friendly voice coaching you through running and walking intervals, and she'll let you know when the workout's complete.
- You can keep going even after the workout's done if you want to! If not, just tap the 'Stop' and 'Save' to save your workout.
- A green checkmark will appear on the workout indicating that it's complete. Then, you can download the next workout!
- Once you've unlocked a workout, you can always go back and do it again.
- As you progress through the plan, you'll be running more and walking less. There are 18 workouts to get you to that final 5K.
How often should I do My First 5K workouts?
- It depends on how you feel. You can do one new workout every week if you want, or do a couple a week. It's all about moving at your own pace!
- If you're an absolute beginner, we recommend repeating each workout a few times until you feel comfortable.
- You can do each workout as many times as you want! Just make sure you have rest days for recovery -- you don't want to overwork yourself.
A couple of things to note:
- Workouts 1 through 3 are free so you can try the plan and see if you like it. Workout 4 and onward are accessible with a Runkeeper Go subscription.
- You must complete at least 80% of the workout for the next one to unlock.
- My First 5K is not available on the standalone Apple Watch app at this time.
- This plan is only available in English and Japanese. To access it, you will want to change your phone language to English (US) or Japanese. This feature will then appear in the app.
Got more questions? Send us an email at email@example.com!
Article is closed for comments.